apt-getto upgrade to the new version. (If are upgrading to a major (X.0) or minor (X.Y) release, you must do a full image install, as described inin Installing a New Cumulus RMP Imagebelow below.)
To upgrade to a maintenance (X.Y.Z) release using
- Download the appropriate Cumulus RMP image for your x86 platform from the Cumulus Downloads page.
Prepare your flash drive by formatting in one of the supported formats: FAT32, vFAT or EXT2.
Expand title Optional: Preparing a USB Drive inside Cumulus Linux Warning
It is possible that you could severely damage your system with the following utilities, so please use caution when performing the actions below!
- Insert your flash drive into the USB port on the switch running Cumulus RMP and log in to the switch.
- Determine and note which device your flash drive can be found at using output from
sudo fdisk -l [device]. For example,
sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdb. These instructions assume your USB drive is the
/dev/sdbdevice, which is typical. Make sure to modify the commands below to use the proper device for your USB drive.
Create a new partition table on the device:
sudo parted /dev/sdb mklabel msdos
Create a new partition on the device:
sudo parted /dev/sdb -a optimal mkpart primary 0% 100%
Format the partition to your filesystem of choice using ONE of the examples below:
sudo mkfs.ext2 /dev/sdb1 sudo mkfs.msdos -F 32 /dev/sdb1 sudo mkfs.vfat /dev/sdb1
mkfs.vfat, you need to install the
dosfstoolspackage from the Debian software repositories (step 3 here shows you how to add repositories from Debian), as they are not included by default.
To continue installing Cumulus RMP, mount the USB drive in order to move files to it.
sudo mkdir /mnt/usb sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb
Copy the image file over to the flash drive and rename the image file to
- Insert the USB stick into the switch, then continue with the appropriate instructions below for your x86 platform.
- Prepare the switch for installation:
- If the switch is offline, connect to the console and power on the switch.
- If the switch is already online in Cumulus RMP, connect to the console and reboot the switch into the ONIE environment with the
sudo cl-img-select -icommand, followed by
sudo reboot. Then skip to step 4 below.
- If the switch is already online in ONIE, use the
SSH sessions to the switch get dropped after this step. To complete the remaining instructions, connect to the console of the switch. Cumulus RMP switches display their boot process to the console, so you need to monitor the console specifically to complete the next step.
- Monitor the console and select the ONIE option from the first GRUB screen shown below.
- Cumulus RMP uses GRUB chainloading to present a second GRUB menu specific to the ONIE partition. No action is necessary in this menu to select the default option ONIE: Install OS.
At this point, the USB drive should be automatically recognized and mounted. The image file should be located and automatic installation of Cumulus RMP should begin. Here is some sample output:
ONIE: OS Install Mode ... Version : quanta_common_rangeley-2014.05.05-6919d98-201410171013 Build Date: 2014-10-17T10:13+0800 Info: Mounting kernel filesystems... done. Info: Mounting LABEL=ONIE-BOOT on /mnt/onie-boot ... initializing eth0... scsi 6:0:0:0: Direct-Access SanDisk Cruzer Facet 1.26 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6 sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] 31266816 512-byte logical blocks: (16.0 GB/14.9 GiB) sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk <...snip...> ONIE: Executing installer: file://dev/sdb1/onie-installer-x86_64 Verifying image checksum ... OK. Preparing image archive ... OK. Dumping image info... Control File Contents ===================== Description: Cumulus Linux OS-Release: 2.5.7-3b46bef-201509041633-build Architecture: amd64 Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 17:10:30 -0700 Installer-Version: 1.2 Platforms: accton_as5712_54x accton_as6712_32x mlx_sx1400_i73612 dell_s6000_s1220 dell_s4000_c2338 dell_s3000_c2338 cel_redstone_xp cel_smallstone_xp cel_pebble quanta_panther quanta_ly8_rangeley quanta_ly6_rangeley quanta_ly9_rangeley Homepage: http://www.cumulusnetworks.com/
After installation completes, the switch automatically reboots into the newly installed instance of Cumulus RMP.